Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Brief (Positive) Update

It has now been three days since Nikki's vet visit regarding her abscessed wound and broken tooth. As mentioned in my previous post about this situation, the tooth was not deemed in need of emergency treatment, so we're going to deal with that when she goes in for her dental cleaning (which won't be until after the side wound has fully healed). And as for the side wound, it still seems to be draining a little bit...I've been following the vet's advice to make sure it stays open (i.e., applying warm compresses).

I might have to ask the vet again how long it's important for the wound to stay open, though, because at this point it seems to be "trying" to close up, despite the fact that Nikki is now literally climbing the walls (there are shelves in that room going nearly up to the ceiling) out of boredom. I really don't trust myself yet to be able to gauge whether the infection has really gone down enough, given I apparently couldn't even tell she had an abscess at all until it leaked! But the area is a lot less puffy and isn't as warm to the touch anymore, and I haven't seen any actual pus since Sunday. That seems like good progress.

I am also wondering (and yes, I will ask the vet about this when I ask about wound-closure again) when it will be okay to remove Nikki's conehead collar. But that's less of a priority, seeing as (despite my worries) she seems to be able to eat, drink, and crap just fine with it on. The one thing she can't really do is groom herself and that must be really annoying for a cat. I might try wiping her off all over with a damp towel tonight just to hopefully finally get the last of the lingering vet-smell off her.

As for the other cats, they're all back to eating normally and are only a tad twitchier than usual. I've started periodically opening Nikki's door enough for the cats on either side to sniff each other, etc. That way, I figure the others are less likely to write her out of the household's feline social dynamic. I mean it's not as if she was actively friends with any of them prior to this recent epoch, but everyone was at least being mostly civil to everyone else, and I don't want to set that back if I can help it.

On that note...one of the really odd things I've been noticing over the past few days is that Cora and Shadow (who are normally "the bold ones" in the sibling group) have been a lot twitchier than Brodie (who is normally the most skittish). Brodie was the first one to investigate the cat carrier when I brought it out, the first one to come out for dinner on Saturday when everyone was wigging out a bit, and overall has been more curious than scared regarding Nikki's presence on the other side of the spare room door.

I have no clue why this is but it's kind of fascinating. Just goes to show you how complex cat-personalities can be, I guess!


  1. Hi Anne,

    great to hear that Nikki is doing much better. If I were you, I would consider removing the head cone at this stage. It sounds as if the healing process is starting, and her being able to groom herself in the area will help keep the wound open.

    Your other cats might not only pick up on Nikki's vet visit, but also your anxiety over Nikki, and might thus be a bit twitchier then normal.

    All the best

  2. Connie: Thanks for the well-wishing...Nikki is doing better every day. Today I even let her out of the bedroom and she seemed really pleased about that! She is still wearing the cone, though...I called the vet and they recommended keeping it on for 2 whole weeks!

    I don't know if I'll keep it on THAT long (my vet's office tends to be pretty conservative about such things, which I don't blame them for) but it's only been on four days so I do want to at least give it *one* week. I've just been using peroxide or sterile saline wash to clean and keep the wound open and that seems to be working well.


This blog has been archived and can no longer receive comments.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.